Skip to Main Content

Permit Applications

Permits Under Ontario Regulation 166/06 - Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses

Do I Need A Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Permit From the Conservation Authority?
How Do I Apply for a Permit?
What Happens to My TRCA Permit Application?
Why is Regulation 166/06 Important?

We have movedDo I Need A Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Permit From the Conservation Authority?

Under Ontario Regulation 166/06 - [33K] Adobe Acrobat is needed to open this file, the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority regulates and may prohibit work taking place within valley and stream corridors, wetlands and associated areas of interference and the Lake Ontario waterfront. If your property is regulated, you must apply for a permit from the Conservation Authority in order to do any of the following works:

  1. straightening, changing, diverting or interfering in any way with the existing channel of a river, creek, stream or watercourse, or for changing or interfering in any way with a wetland;
  2. development, if in the opinion of the authority, the control of flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches or pollution or the conservation of land may be affected by the development.

Where Development is defined as:

  1. the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind,
  2. any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of altering the use or potential use of the building or structure, increasing the size of the building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure,
  3. site grading, and/or
  4. the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material, originating on the site or elsewhere

Note: Regulations under the Conservation Authorities Act are enforced. Developing, interfering with a wetland or altering a shoreline or watercourse without a permit may result in a fine and prosecution under the Conservation Authorities Act.


How Do I Confirm that My Property is Regulated?

Most of the lands regulated by the Conservation Authority have been mapped in detail. The Regulation Limit mapping, which shows the Authority's Regulated Areas is available through our head office.

If you live close to a stream, river, valley, or watercourse of any kind, a wetland or on the waterfront, and you wish to determine if your property is affected by Ontario Regulation 166/06 or other TRCA policies and programs, you can use our regulation area search tool as a first step to screen your property. However, the information in this viewer is not intended to constitute advice nor is it to be used as a substitute for specific advice from a qualified professional. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based upon information shown in the viewer without verifying the information with TRCA staff and, as necessary, obtaining professional advice regarding your particular facts and circumstances. In order to do this please contact Planning and Development at the Conservation Authority. Please be prepared with a legal description of your property (e.g. municipal address, lot and concession lines, plan or block number) and a location map. If you want written confirmation and a detailed review of how your property is affected by our regulation, we also provide a Property Inquiry Service for a fee.


How Do I Apply for a Permit?

  • Download a Residential and Building Application FormDownload PDF - OR contact Planning and Development staff to pick up a permit application from our office or have a permit application mailed or faxed to you.
  • Download a Infrastructure Permit Application formDownload PDF - OR please go to the Environment Assessments page for additional application forms (i.e., Permit Reissuance, Permission to Enter TRCA property and Fisheries Timing Window Extension).
  • Refer to the Fee Schedule for Permit Applications to determine the category of works and the type of permit you will need as well as the applicable fee. Please forward a cheque in the appropriate amount made payable to the TRCA along with your permit application.
  • Read Applying for a Permit Information Sheet to ensure that you are submitting all the necessary documents with your permit application.
  • If you are applying for a permit on behalf of the landowner, a Landowner Authorization Form must be completed. This form is part of the permit application.


What Happens to My TRCA Permit Application?

Your Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses permit application will be assessed to determine whether the proposed works will affect the control of flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches, pollution or the conservation of land. Recommendations will be forwarded to the Executive Committee of the TRCA, who will decide whether to approve or refuse the application. Before refusing an application, however, the Executive Committee will notify the applicant and hold a hearing to which the applicant or his/her agent shall attend. Upon hearing the submission of the applicant/agent and reviewing other information submitted, the Executive Committee will make its final decision. If refused, the applicant will be notified of the reasons in writing. Within the 30 days of receipt of the Notice of Refusal, the applicant may appeal to the Mining and Lands Commissioner who may dismiss the appeal or grant permission.

To ensure that your permit application is reviewed in time to be included on the agenda, please ensure that your complete permit application is submitted 8-10 WEEKS prior to the scheduled Executive Committee date.


Why is Regulation 166/06 Important?

Ontario Regulation 166/06 is important because it protects watercourses, wetlands, shorelines and valley lands, and it protects you and your neighbours throughout the watershed. Regulation 166/06 enables us to contribute to the health and integrity of the regional greenspace system and to maintain or improve the hydrological and ecological functions performed by valley and stream corridors. These corridors are important for groundwater recharge and discharge; they provide fish and wildlife habitat; contain rich archaeological and natural heritage resources; and they improve air quality.

In addition, Regulation 166/06 ensures that works within the regulated areas will not create a hazard to life and property in other parts of the watershed. Every year, the Toronto region experiences severe storms and periodic flooding. Unrestricted development within a floodplain increases the risk of "loss of life, personal injury, and property damage." Fill placed on a valley or bluff slope can aggravate existing erosion problems or create new ones. Development can also affect neighbouring properties by changing the physical characteristics of the floodplain and stream. Likewise, unrestricted development along the Lake Ontario waterfront may be damaged by flooding due to high lake levels and severe wave action.


Works requiring authorization from Fisheries and Oceans Canada

On Monday, November 25, 2013, amendments to the Fisheries Act, Applications for Authorization (under Paragraph 35(2) (b) of the Fisheries Act Regulations) and Information Requirements Regulations came into force. As a result of these amendments and other changes within DFO, proponents must now ensure their projects meet the DFO requirements under a self-assessment process. The Fisheries Act requires that projects avoid causing serious harm to fish unless authorized by the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. The following links provide further information:

Does my project need a review?

Measures to avoid harm:

Request a review or authorization:

Please note that although TRCA no longer review projects under the Federal Fisheries Act, the Authority continues to deliver programs and services directed towards the protection, restoration and management of aquatic systems, including fish and fish habitat, as an integral component of watershed management and our objectives for the Living City. Since TRCA is responsible for administering Ontario Regulation166/06 under the Conservation Authorities Act for works within regulated areas it continues to provide quality service in this regard, including review of impacts on aquatic systems. In addition, TRCA also provides Plan Review services under the Planning Act and Environmental Assessment Act to our municipal partners including the provision of advice as it relates to impacts on fish and fish habitat.

- See more at: