Skip to Main Content

Planning Services

TRCA's Role in Developing Regional/Municipal Policies and By-laws
The TRCA's Role in the Planning/Development Approval Process
What Happens Next?
How Do I Know If My Development Application Will Be Circulated to the TRCA?

We have movedTRCA's Role in Developing Regional / Municipal Policies and By-laws

The TRCA works in partnership with regional and local municipalities in the Regions of Peel, York and Durham, the Townships of Mono and Adjala-Tosorontio and the City of Toronto. TRCA staff provide input and technical support in the development and implementation of Official Plans, Secondary Plans, environmental studies/reports and special municipal by-laws (e.g. tree, ravine, sediment and erosion control, fill and grading, etc.). Through participation in various committees, workshops and studies, the TRCA provides valuable information and advice on flood control, stormwater management and the conservation of significant natural features and functions within its watersheds.


The TRCA's Role in the Planning/Development Approval Process

The TRCA reviews and comments on development applications to protect and regenerate natural systems and to prevent, eliminate, or reduce the risk to life and property from flooding, erosion of riverbanks, and slope instability. The TRCA also encourages opportunities for compatible public use and enjoyment. Through its Living City Policies, the TRCA integrates its public safety responsibilities with ecosystem planning and management.

As a requirement of the planning/development approvals process, development proposals adjacent to natural areas and the waterfront undergo review by the TRCA. To expedite any approvals required from the TRCA, your planning application may be circulated to the TRCA through your local Planning Department.


What Happens Next?

TRCA staff will determine how your proposal will affect or be affected by adjacent natural features. Authority staff will then forward comments to your municipality, recommending ways of protecting natural features and protecting your development from the threat of flooding and erosion. If necessary, you will be advised to apply for a Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses permit under Ontario Regulation 166/06 - [29K] Adobe Acrobat is needed to open this file or other Acts and regulations. To support your proposal, you may be required to submit additional information (i.e. environmental inventory/assessment, sediment control plan, restoration/rehabilitation/landscape plans or engineering reports if applicable). Other requirements may include surveys/studies of natural features and/or hazard lands such as floodplain mapping and geotechnical reports.

  • Planning application (rezoning, subdivision, site plan control, variance, etc.) submitted to local municipality
  • Local municipality determines if the subject property is located within the TRCA screening area

(TRCA areas of interest)

  • If not within TRCA screening area, no TRCA input/review is required
  • If TRCA staff has no comments or concerns, no further TRCA clearance/approval is required
  • If subject property is within the TRCA screening area, local municipality forwards the planning application and plans to TRCA for review and input to the municipal approval process
  • TRCA staff review application and plans and provide comments to the local municipality
  • If TRCA staff have comments, the applicant should address any conditions/comments (TRCA permit requirements, engineering studies, site meetings, etc.) before TRCA can provide clearance to the local municipality
  • Once TRCA conditions/comments have been addressed, TRCA clearance for the planning application is provided to the local municipality


How Do I Know If My Development Application Will Be Circulated to the TRCA?

1. Check to see if your property is located within a TRCA Area of Interest

TRCA screening maps identify areas where there is a flood risk and/or specific natural feature of interest to the TRCA. In general, development applications wholly or partially within or adjacent to these areas will be circulated to Planning and Development for comment.

If your development proposal falls within or is adjacent to the screening area and/or is greater than five hectares, then your application will likely be forwarded to the TRCA. Please ensure that the appropriate Conservation Authority planning fee is attached to your application when you submit your documents to your local planning department.

2. Submit the appropriate Conservation Authority planning fee with your planning application

Conservation Authorities within the Greater Toronto Area have set up a fee schedule to help cover the costs of administering plan review and technical clearance services. An application fee applies to each application sent to the Conservation Authority and additional fees will apply for certain applications (*see fee schedule). Please refer to the Conservation Authority fee schedule below.

Please attach the appropriate fee and the fee collection form when submitting your application.

Fee Fact SheetAdobe Acrobat is needed to open this file

Planning, Permitting & EA Fees Policy/GuidelinesAdobe Acrobat is needed to open this file 

Fee Schedule for Planning ServicesAdobe Acrobat is needed to open this file
Fee Schedule for Environmental Assessment ApplicationsAdobe Acrobat is needed to open this file